This time around, we return from a long absence with whispers and hearsay. We speak to two experts on the power of rumor in a variety of real-world situations. First, we discuss the importance of listening to medical rumors—even when we know they’re wrong. Second, we talk about the Satanic Panic’s connection to infighting among churches and the bigger role of rumor in global immigration.
Download: Episode 5 – Rumors
My guests for this episode were:
- Andrea Kitta from Eastern Carolina University. You can find her books Vaccination and Public Concern in History and Diagnosing Folklore on Amazon. Her book The Kiss of Death is forthcoming.
- Bill Ellis from Penn State University. You can find his books Lucifer Ascending and The Global Grapevine on Amazon.
All music for this episode is licensed through Magnatune.
- “The Light,” by Giorgio Constantini
- “Underwater,” by Claire Fitch
- “The Summer Fell Silent,” by Emmalee Crane
- “Deimos,” by Joram
- “Don’t Wanna Talk,” by Chiwawa
Sound clips from Snopes.com and “War of the Worlds (1938),” by Mercury Radio Theatre, are used under Fair Use for commentary/education.
Images: “Girls Whisper” and “Mushrooms” both via Pixabay.
Produced by New World Witchery. Copyright 2017-18. Share-and-share-alike Creative Commons license.